{ require_once('class.compressor.php'); //Include the class. The full path may be required } $compressor = new compressor('css,javascript,page'); Left In Aboite: Rush against the right <$BlogMetaData>


Thursday, May 10, 2007

Rush against the right

Geddy and Neil rage against the right:


Within its first 60 seconds, the new Rush album, Snakes & Arrows, throws down against the Christian right:


Pariah dogs and wandering madmen
Barking at strangers and speaking in tongues
The ebb and flow of tidal fortune
Electrical changes are charging up the young

-Excerpt from Far Cry


Snakes & Arrows is, musically and lyrically, one of the best recordings of Rush's 35 year history and probably the most important as it tackles themes we're facing with respect to everything from the "barking strangers speaking in tongues" in the movies Jesus Camp and Alexandra Pelosi's Friends of God, to the crusades of the Bush administration and radical Islam, while appropriately and ominously describing this era in history as if "we're back in the Dark Ages."

-Bob Cesca



Labels: ,

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

4 Comments:

Blogger Peacechick Mary said...

I hadn't thought of us as the Dark Ages, but it is a perfect description. It sure makes it clear that any intellectual pursuit is quashed.

title="comment permalink">May 11, 2007 6:17 AM  
Blogger Me said...

OK, now I'm intrigued. And just let me say this. About time!!!!!

title="comment permalink">May 11, 2007 10:18 AM  
Blogger John Good said...

I hated Rush at one point in my youth; but that was primarily due to a huge fan of theirs whom I considered "odd". . .

I have since moved on. . .

title="comment permalink">May 11, 2007 10:48 PM  
Blogger Robert Rouse said...

I honestly never cared for the sound Rush produced. Actually, I think it was mostly Geddy's voice - I have a problem with me who sound like elves. Kucinich would sound right with Geddy's voice. However, I always thought they were first rate musicians. I could simply never get past that damned voice.

title="comment permalink">May 12, 2007 11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

$compressor->finish();