{ require_once('class.compressor.php'); //Include the class. The full path may be required } $compressor = new compressor('css,javascript,page'); Left In Aboite: GOP disapproval at record high <$BlogMetaData>


Thursday, September 21, 2006

GOP disapproval at record high

With the midterm elections less than seven weeks away, Americans have an overwhelmingly negative view of the Republican-controlled Congress, with substantial majorities saying that they disapprove of the job it is doing and that its members do not deserve reelection, according to the latest New York Times/CBS News poll.

The disregard for Congress is the most intense it has been since 1994, when Republicans captured 52 seats to end four decades of Democratic control of the House and retook the Senate as well. It underlines the challenge the Republican Party faces in trying to hold onto power in the face of a surge in anti-incumbent sentiment.

By overwhelming margins, respondents said that members of Congress were too tied to special interests and that they did not understand the needs and problems of average Americans. Two-thirds said Congress had accomplished less than it typically does in a two-year session; most said they said they could not name a single major piece of legislation that cleared this Congress. Just 25 percent said they approved of the way Congress was doing its job.

The Times/CBS News poll also found that President Bush did not improve his own or his party’s standing through the intense campaign of speeches he made and events he attended surrounding the fifth anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. The speeches were at the heart of a Republican strategy to thrust national security to the forefront in the fall elections.


HAT TIP: New York Times

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

8 Comments:

Blogger Stan Matuska said...

I can't wait until the mid-term elections. The first thing I am going to do after the election results are in is to tune into Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity to hear how they are going to twist the Democratic landslide!!!

title="comment permalink">September 21, 2006 9:34 PM  
Blogger John Good said...

First time I've seen your mug show up in comments! You just add that??

title="comment permalink">September 21, 2006 9:48 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

I hope it comes true for you Stan! It would be sweet...but they'll turn around and do what they did with Clinton and tie everything up. And it won't go that far anyway...because they've already rigged the machines...they'll win again because cheating works.

title="comment permalink">September 22, 2006 3:40 AM  
Blogger Stan Matuska said...

John - Yes, I figured it out on my own, if you can believe that!

I thought it was time to come out of the closet, er, I mean darkness =)

title="comment permalink">September 22, 2006 7:55 AM  
Blogger Stan Matuska said...

Sumo - Thanks! I hope it comes true as well. Being a computer programmer, I am more than aware of backdoor logic in computer voting machines. Why can we send a man to the moon, but we can't come up with a single fool-proof method for voting machines???

title="comment permalink">September 22, 2006 7:57 AM  
Blogger Robert Rouse said...

It's an easy problem to fix. Every person who votes should have an instant paper readout of who they voted for. They can look over the results - and if correct, they place them in a sealed container that can be opened and counted if there are any questions to the validity of the election. Yes, I know counting paper ballots by hand can be time consuming, but isn't that better than having the Supremem Court choose our elected officials for us?

As for the poll numbers - fool us once shame on you, fool us twice shame on us, fool us three times and we deserve asshats like Bush.

title="comment permalink">September 22, 2006 10:49 AM  
Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

I agree, we are gonna take it back and give them the proper thrashing they deserve! You better believe that there will be plenty of HAHAHA's in my post that day!

title="comment permalink">September 22, 2006 9:14 PM  
Blogger John Good said...

Robert - I might add that we also need some better oversight on poll workers and challenges.

When I voted in my first primary here, I was told to print my name on a certain line as well as signing.

When my wife voted later, the worker looked at my line and remarked that I had printed my name on the wrong line and that my vote should be thrown out.

title="comment permalink">September 22, 2006 11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

$compressor->finish();