{ require_once('class.compressor.php'); //Include the class. The full path may be required } $compressor = new compressor('css,javascript,page'); Left In Aboite: Back Home Again in Indiana <$BlogMetaData>


Monday, July 31, 2006

Back Home Again in Indiana

Sabrina and Samantha with cousin Ian in Wisconsin:
I'm baaaack. Didja miss me? If you didn't know, we left early Saturday morning for a family reunion with my wife's relatives up in Wisconsin. The journey there was one of the smoother ones, Chicago is always the wild-card on this particular adventure. You either have to take it head-on or go way out of your way. My route of choice is I-90 via The Skyway. You can generally rip through there at 70-75 with no problems other than construction, and there was only one 2-3 mile stretch after downtown that was bogged down.

In past trips up there, I've always left on Saturday morning and we've returned after breakfast on Sunday. This never gives the wife much time to visit with everyone she wants to see. And, with moving last year and a busy schedule in general, we hadn't been up there in two years. So this time I took Monday off so we weren't so rushed. Worked out pretty well, but I did miss blogging! =)

On the way back home, we had planned a trip to the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago. This didn't work out due to how damned busy the place was and the insane parking situation. My choices were to shell out $15 to park for two hours, or walk nearly a mile with a 4 and 6 year old. We passed. We'll make this a weekend trip at some other time, and take in the museums and other sites at our leisure.

I hadn't visited my parents graves since Mom's death in '01. I had some issues. Anyways, I decided to stop, and was glad I did. Samantha was only 18 months old when I lost Mom, and Sabrina was six weeks from being born. Mom so desperately wanted to see Sabrina. She fought for her very life to make it that far, but couldn't. So they sort of met today for the first time. I spent some time cleaning up around their markers, and we took several pictures.



Sabrina, me, and Sam at Mom & Dad's graves in Kocsiusko:

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

11 Comments:

Blogger PTCruiser said...

You have a beautiful family there, John. Good to hear you're back and I'm glad to see that you stopped to visit with your parents.

title="comment permalink">July 31, 2006 8:27 PM  
Blogger Human said...

So blessed with 2 cuties and good parents. And of course you had issues. You would be less than Human if you did not.
Peace.

title="comment permalink">July 31, 2006 9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good to have ya back Johnee!
Sounds like you had a pretty good trip other than the parking thing.

Most people don't get it when I take family photos at a grave site, but I don't care. It means something to me. Glad to see you took the kids to visit thier Grandma and Grandpa Good.

Later
Stan

title="comment permalink">July 31, 2006 9:48 PM  
Blogger John Good said...

Thanks guys! I was sure about the pics myself, but wondered about the wierdness factor. I'm usually the LAST person to worry about such things. Thanks for the reaffirmation! It's still nice to be validated.

title="comment permalink">July 31, 2006 10:03 PM  
Blogger John Burzynski said...

My sister is a geneaology freak, she has pics of every gravestone in our family...

The Skyway used to be riddled with potholes and bumps, 70 MPH was taking your cars' life into danger.

title="comment permalink">August 01, 2006 7:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your daughters are adorable, John. Glad you had fun. We are getting ready for a family-reunion weekend in Nebraska and I am really looking forward to it. I am the furthest northeast of my cousins (at least the cousins on that side), so I don't get to see them much. It's great to catch up with people with whom you share a history. And I'm glad that you were able to reconnect with your folks.

title="comment permalink">August 01, 2006 8:53 AM  
Blogger John Good said...

John B. - They've done alot or work on that road. In fact, I think they've been working on it diligently for at least 30 years now! ;)

Karen - I wish you a safe trip and a great meet-up. My wife's family is all I have now. I have one uncle left that corresponds with me from time to time; other'n that I'm on my own.

title="comment permalink">August 01, 2006 8:36 PM  
Blogger John Good said...

Coff - I know that from your post about the desecration of said memorial. Sick bastards. . .

Nobody has asked about the kitty yet. . .

title="comment permalink">August 01, 2006 9:23 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

Great looking kids! Glad to hear you had a safe trip.

title="comment permalink">August 02, 2006 12:52 AM  
Blogger JR - A Green Eyed Gurl.... said...

...graves in Kosciusko...

Does that mean you are originally from the Warsaw area? Just curious.

title="comment permalink">August 02, 2006 8:05 AM  
Blogger John Good said...

Does that mean you are originally from the Warsaw area?

Yes Jessica,

My Mom's family hails from there. The Leiter clan.

title="comment permalink">August 02, 2006 12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

$compressor->finish();