{ require_once('class.compressor.php'); //Include the class. The full path may be required } $compressor = new compressor('css,javascript,page'); Left In Aboite: This could be someone you know. . . <$BlogMetaData>


Thursday, July 27, 2006

This could be someone you know. . .

I am the boy who never finished high school, because I got called a fag everyday.

I am the girl kicked out of her home because I confided in my mother that I am a lesbian.

I am the prostitute working the streets because nobody will hire a transsexual woman.

I am the sister who holds her gay brother tight through the painful, tear-filled nights.

We are the parents who buried our daughter long before her time.

I am the man who died alone in the hospital because they would not let my partner of twenty-seven years into the room.

I am the foster child who wakes up with nightmares of being taken away from the two fathers who are the only loving family I have ever had. I wish they could adopt me.

I am not one of the lucky ones. I killed myself just weeks before graduating high school. It was simply too much to bear.

We are the couple who had the realtor hang up on us when she found out we wanted to rent a one-bedroom for two men.

I am the person who never knows which bathroom I should use if I want to avoid getting the management called on me.

I am the mother who is not allowed to even visit the children I bore, nursed, and raised. The court says I am an unfit mother because I now live with another woman.

I am the domestic-violence survivor who found the support system grow suddenly cold and distant when they found out my abusive partner is also a woman.

I am the domestic-violence survivor who has no support system to turn to because I am male.

I am the father who has never hugged his son because I grew up afraid to show affection to other men.

I am the home-economics teacher who always wanted to teach gym until someone told me that only lesbians do that.

I am the woman who died when the EMTs stopped treating me as soon as they realized I was transsexual.

I am the person who feels guilty because I think I could be a much better person if I didnt have to always deal with society hating me.

I am the man who stopped attending church, not because I don't believe, but because they closed their doors to my kind.

I am the person who has to hide what this world needs most, love.

I am the person ashamed to tell my own friends im a lesbian, because they constantly make fun of them.

I am the boy tied to a fence, beaten to a bloody pulp and left to die
because two straight men wanted to "teach me a lesson"


IT IS WRONG TO DISCRIMINATE AGAINST HOMOSEXUALS AND DENY THEM THE SAME RIGHTS THAT EVERYONE ELSE ENJOYS.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen.

First time commenter. Grew up in Aboite. HHS grad. A blue person trapped in this red state....

title="comment permalink">July 27, 2006 9:11 PM  
Blogger John Good said...

Thank you for commenting. It's always rewarding to hear from other progressives out here in Aboite. I think our numbers are larger than many people realize. It was my hope that this blog would be a place where we could all find each other and work together for our common goals.

I genuinely appreciate that you took the time to comment and let me know that I am being read by my neighbors. Thank you.

title="comment permalink">July 27, 2006 9:28 PM  
Blogger Human said...

Yes all true. However right now, it is a losing effort. 1st we have to regain control of our Government. With the courts packed by the far right only Congress can correct the extreme disparity.

With so many of my fellow Americans blind to their own lost Civil Rights, I doubt that it is feasible at this time to make this a big battlefront. Polls sadly show that this is a losing issue. Heck, look what at the damage these hoodlums had to cause before a majority no longer approves of them.

I'm all for Gays having full equal rights. One of my brothers is Gay and another one was also. He died of AIDS at the age of 33. There is a time for everything. When We The People are in control of our Government, good things will follow.

Peace.

title="comment permalink">July 27, 2006 9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a son who's gay, and I believe in his right to BE GAY. However, I DO NOT believe that gays have ANY rights to what we in this country have called marriage for over two hundred years, which is the union between a MAN and a WOMAN. If they want a union, there are plenty of places to get that accomplished without tearing down the tenants of the church and what GOd considers a marriage.

title="comment permalink">July 27, 2006 11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since when did the church have the authority to decide what civil rights people get? Call them civil unions, marriage, whatever - the point is everyone should get the same rights from the state. If your church doesn't want to perform a marriage ceremony for gays then that is their choice I suppose.

The bible is not the constitution - no matter how much you try to distort the issue...

title="comment permalink">July 27, 2006 11:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are really TWO types of marriage - religious and civil. In Europe, these are actually separated sometime but in the US we do them all at once. NO ONE is saying that religons need to change who they marry. But there are lots of civil, non-religious ramifications of marriage and THOSE are the things that need to be made equal. I am a Unitarian Universalist, and my faith marries gay and lesbian couples. But the theocrats don't care about MY beliefs or MY faith - they just want to impose theirs on the rest of us.

title="comment permalink">July 28, 2006 8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First anon again...no longer in Aboite, but still in FW--in fact, perhaps the ONLY Dem precinct in town...

Totally agree with Universalist. No one is saying churches would have to perform marriages they don't agree with. But there SHOULD be a legal, civil union available to gay couples. The whole gay marriage issue strikes me as a big "what's it to ya?". If gay people can legally marry, it will not affect me ONE BIT. It won't "cheapen" my own marriage. it won't weaken it. It won't hurt society.

And it won't lead to people wanting to marry their pets, to throw up one straw man that's popular.

title="comment permalink">July 28, 2006 12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Understanding of GLBT people is growing. Young people are more accepting and even many older ones are becomming kinder in their dealings with gay people. As a member of PFLAG - I am working to help parents accept and understand their children and working to help other children (most are grown up now) get over the hurt their parents caused. The happiest families are those where parents continue to love and accept their gay children. BTW - I am a UU too. :-)

title="comment permalink">July 29, 2006 3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

$compressor->finish();