{ require_once('class.compressor.php'); //Include the class. The full path may be required } $compressor = new compressor('css,javascript,page'); Left In Aboite: Bonds Hits 755th Homer to Tie Aaron <$BlogMetaData>


Sunday, August 05, 2007

Bonds Hits 755th Homer to Tie Aaron

You may be wondering why I (Stan Matuska) am posting this, or even care. For those that know me, I am not a "sports fan". Most men go gaga over this kind of stuff, but not me. I am interested in this story because of the steroid controversy.

A few years ago, when I first heard about athletes using steroids and breaking historic records because of it, I was appalled. I didn't think it was right. The steroid story keeps coming up with athletes and their breaking records due to steroid usage. Well, now I'm resigned to the fact that when it comes to sport records, we might as well accept steroid and any other flavor of drug athletes may use. My opinion has nothing to do with me liking or disliking sports.

I realize that today's athletes will never be the same as those of the past. We now live longer, have different foods available, and exercise equipment that wasn't around decades ago. Those things alone should disqualify an athlete for the same reason as steroids. It's not natural they say. Well, what is "natural" anyway? The fact is, as time goes by, athletes will "automatically" have enough different about them than their predecessors to disqualify them just as the steroid controversy is today.

I say whether an athlete had Fruit Loops or steroids for breakfast, they are still performing a feat that is remarkable; and after all, doesn't every athlete have the same advantage as the next (legal or illegal)?

Full story: http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8QQR4K01&show_article=1

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

4 Comments:

Blogger Robert Rouse said...

Stan, I haven't been much of a baseball fan since I was a kid. Back then I was an avid fan. I watched these guys whenever I had a chance. Today I am more of a pro football fan. Hell, I don't even take the time to watch the World Series anymore. Why? Because of jerks like Barry Bonds. No only is he being allowed to tarnish the record books with his 'roid enhanced performances, but he has a total disdain for the very fans who allow him to do his job.

No one should be allowed to gain entry into the record books by cheating. If baseball wants to allow his record, then they have to come right out and say "we've altered the rules to allow steroid use." Until then, Bonds and his ilk should be banned from the sport. Same goes for any other sport that not only allows, but through their inactive punishment of the offenders, encourages the use of 'roids.

title="comment permalink">August 05, 2007 4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...and after all, doesn't every athlete have the same advantage as the next (legal or illegal)?

In a word...NO! Bonds feat, when he achieves, will be a sham. I agree with Robert, though I'm not really a baseball fan, IMHO the sport would be better off without Bonds.

title="comment permalink">August 05, 2007 5:08 PM  
Blogger Stan Matuska said...

A few years ago, when I first heard about athletes using steroids and breaking historic records because of it, I was appalled. I didn't think it was right.

I understand Robert and Kvatch's opinion. I just don't think the steroid controversy is going to go away. In fact, I think it's going to become more and more prevalent. Why aren't athletes banned from playing sports if it's such an issue? Surely there has to be a way to test for it's usage.

When I originally had the same opinion of the posters, I was ridiculed by 90% of the people I talked to! My feeling was that they are sports fans who didn't care about the 'roid issue. Now that I have reversed my position on the subject, I am once again getting reamed! That's ok though. I'm learning that in the blogosphere, you have to be able to take a reaming and keep on screaming!

title="comment permalink">August 06, 2007 7:58 AM  
Blogger John Good said...

Not a sports fan, either. But I say no drugs should be involved in competition unless playing "beer pong" or "quarters"! +)

title="comment permalink">August 06, 2007 8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

$compressor->finish();