{ require_once('class.compressor.php'); //Include the class. The full path may be required } $compressor = new compressor('css,javascript,page'); Left In Aboite: On Hiatus <$BlogMetaData>


Saturday, August 04, 2007

On Hiatus


We'll be gone tomorrow on an adventure in Chi-Town:



We'll be seeing the windy city via the slower, more relaxed view from "The Spirit of Chicago" cruise ship (pictured above). Those of you who've read about my previous travels through the fair city realize what a flip-side this trip will be. Hell, I don't even have to drive there - we're being chartered in on a bus! I'll finally have time to slow down and enjoy the sights. =)

We're staying at the Palmer House, "the longest continuously operating hotel in North America",



and will return on Sunday. That Madman Matuska will be in charge in my absence. He has my house, my kids, my blog. . .hmmm, maybe I should STAY in Illinois! ;)

I normally leave Stan and Paddy at the helm when I'm away, but Paddy is at Yearly KOS, also in Chicago, so Stan's on his own. . . please do not scare him or attempt to feed him - he's on a strict diet!

I may or may not take the laptop along on this venture - I'll decide by the time we leave at 0-dark-hundred. Have a great weekend if I'm incommunicado!

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

4 Comments:

Blogger Anon-Paranoid said...

My mother use to work at the Sherman Hotel in downtown Chicago. One day she went into work and they told everyone they were closing.

Nobody ever got there final paycheck or vacation time pay. She was only there over twenty years and a lot of big stars stayed there.

Another once great hotel lost to a city that was turning and the downtown area dying.

God Bless.

title="comment permalink">August 03, 2007 11:00 PM  
Blogger Stan Matuska said...

Can't wait to see pics from your trip!

I also want to hear about the hotel rooms, since the hotel is "the longest continuously operating hotel in North America".

title="comment permalink">August 04, 2007 10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Palmer House is great. Stayed there a number of years ago. The last time the Frogette and I were in Chicago, though, we stayed at the Burnham. Very, very cool. Occupies an old 1920/30s office building where they kept all the original fixtures for the hallways--like something out of a Sam Spade novel.

title="comment permalink">August 05, 2007 5:16 PM  
Blogger John Good said...

Anon - Is that (the building) still there? We took a tour, but there was so much to look at!My Mom had stayed at the Palmer several times. She used to model for Vogue School of Design in Chicago. Then there was a little family store that her relatives, the Leiters, had started with a man by the name of Fields. They later sold their share out to a man named Marshall - you know the rest of that story!

Stan - The original hotel burned during the famous fire in the 1800's. The second hotel was rebuilt, and the third and current one was built onto and next to it, so as to forego any interruption of business. The rooms are small, as one might expect, but very nice.

Kvatch - Sounds intriguing. The Palmer is sort of a mix of old and new. They're doing extensive restorations on it at this time.

title="comment permalink">August 05, 2007 8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

$compressor->finish();