{ require_once('class.compressor.php'); //Include the class. The full path may be required } $compressor = new compressor('css,javascript,page'); Left In Aboite: GOP fundraising scam <$BlogMetaData>


Tuesday, May 22, 2007

GOP fundraising scam

I (Stan Matuska) had a phone message for me at the office today. It was very unusual. It said: "Please call Wilma Stevens - Congressman Tom Cole @ 888-383-8065".

What? A Congressman wants to talk to me? Did I blog something that's going to get me in trouble? Maybe he enjoyed a post and wants to put me on CNN with him! But who is Congressman Tom Cole? Before calling, I went to the internet and Google'd him. He is a U.S. Representative in Oklahoma's 4th District. Why would he want me to call him???

I got even more curious and did some more Googling and found out why. It's a scam!!!

My name is listed as a business owner (which I am not), but I get a lot of credit card requests for "my business". I think this came about when the company I work for put me on their checking account in case of emergency. Anyway, apparently they want to honor me with a National Leadership Award! I'm flattered, but I came across a website that details the scam and I decided not to call the number.

Read this post and let me know what you think. Heck, call the number and pretend to be me if you want!

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

7 Comments:

Blogger Peacechick Mary said...

Man, there's a scam a minute.

title="comment permalink">May 22, 2007 8:20 PM  
Blogger Parson said...

FYI, from anywho.com
Cole, Tom Congrsmn/Ofc
2420 Springer Dr
Norman, OK 73069
405-329-6500

title="comment permalink">May 22, 2007 9:45 PM  
Blogger Stan Matuska said...

Mary - There may be a scam a minute, but that god for Google! I would have called the number like an idiot if I hadn't read about it first.

Parson - I appreciate the info, but I'm not going to contact him. After all I've read about this "scam", it appears to be just above the line of a legal fundraising tactic, despite the approach. It's ashame that people are being misled about their award though.

title="comment permalink">May 23, 2007 7:34 AM  
Blogger Sewmouse said...

Actually, after reading the comments, I'm tempted to start my own small business, just to get the calls. I want the one that offers me an opportunity to dine with the Shrub and the StepfordShrub.

Because my response will be... well, a nuclear cluster-F bomb fest, including the words "The very sound of the man's voice makes me want to vomit"

title="comment permalink">May 23, 2007 8:40 AM  
Blogger Parson said...

I was mostly wanting to see if the number you had actually went to that congressman.

You have to watch out nowdays, instead of phishing e-mails, people will actually call your home phone and pretened to be from the bank and try to get your personal info.

title="comment permalink">May 24, 2007 9:35 PM  
Blogger Ryan Joy said...

Glad to hear my blog saved you from calling!

-RYAN

title="comment permalink">May 25, 2007 12:16 PM  
Blogger Stan Matuska said...

Atxryan - Thanks!!! I would have been very angry if I had fallen for their sleezy fundraising scheme!!!

title="comment permalink">May 25, 2007 11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

$compressor->finish();