{ require_once('class.compressor.php'); //Include the class. The full path may be required } $compressor = new compressor('css,javascript,page'); Left In Aboite: Gonged! <$BlogMetaData>


Sunday, May 20, 2007

Gonged!

Sherman, adjust the Wayback Machine for August of 1977. . .Philadelphia. . .Independence Hall:

Okay. . .actually I was flipping through some old photo albums this evening, and ran across a picture and autograph from a celebrity encounter I had at the tender age of 13. Okay, maybe "troubled" is a better term to use when discussing an early teen! But, anyways, we were on a two-week family trip exploring everything from Maine to Virginia and all points in between.

I had BEGGED to undertake this trip the prior summer (1976), but my father (Being the wise man that he was) refused to go anywhere near the original thirteen states during the Bicentennial Celebration! He also refused to drive in New York City, which was probably just as well since it was the "Summer of Sam". . . but I digress. And damned if I aint gonna do it s'more. . .

My favorite shows from that year were, in no particular order, Charlie's Angels, Happy Days, and The Gong Show. Hmmm. . .sex, school, and juvenile humor. What strange picks for a 13 year old. How does this all tie together with our family trip that summer long ago? Well, you see, I was an extremely patriotic youth and insisted on seeing EVERYTHING there was to see regarding our country's history on the east coast (Looking back, my Dad must have had the patience of God himself!).

So, of course, we HAD to visit Independence Hall in Philly so that I could set my eyes upon the Liberty Bell. I merely wanted to see if it was all that it was cracked up to be! Okay, come back! I promise I won't do that again!! ;) After we had exited Independence Hall, I spotted a VERY familiar face walking towards us on the sidewalk! It was MY HERO, Chuck Berris, from the Gong Show! As it turns out, he's a Philly native, one hell of a nice guy in person, and agreed to not only an autograph but even a picture with a geeky teenager:





Yes, the highlight of my voyage of exploration of our nation's creation was a chance meeting with the "Game Show King". If you were a fan, then I know you can relate.

Just in case you missed it, here's the episode that got the Gong Show taken off the air. The fact that it's widely available today on the internet, and probably considered quite tame by today's standards, speaks volumes about what three decades can change in public opinion and standards of decency:

"The Popsicle Twins"


If you're too young to remember the Gong Show, do a YouTube search for it. . .I guarantee you will laugh yer ass off! If you recall the show, you will STILL laugh yer ass off!!

Labels: , ,

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

7 Comments:

Blogger Stan Matuska said...

John, I am hurt. As long as I have known you, I didn't know about the photo with Chuck Berris. Now I understand everything! Didn't you know that he's a spy for the CIA and a hit man??? LOL!

My brother and I actually tried out for the Gong Show many years ago. Don't ask - it wasn't really that great or funny. It's pretty bad when your material isn't up to par for the Gong show!!!

title="comment permalink">May 20, 2007 1:12 AM  
Blogger PTCruiser said...

Get the F*%#! outta here !! You actually got to meet Chuck Berris? Totally cool, John. What a blast from the past this post has been. Throw in the "Six Million Dollar Man" on that list and you have my favorite shows from the '70's.

Now aren't you glad your father waited a year to go on that trip?

title="comment permalink">May 20, 2007 4:27 AM  
Blogger Me said...

Whooooooo Hoooooooooo!!!
How utterly adorable you were! No lie, too, too cute. And with your hero, too.
And the vid is HILARIOUS. The judges comments, OMFG!

title="comment permalink">May 20, 2007 10:48 AM  
Blogger Parson said...

I can't believe they took a show off the air because 2 girls ate some popsicles. It was probably hot out that day and they needed to cool off. Even the one judge liked popsicles. Jammie Farr must not have liked popsicles to only give them a score of 2.

How dare you make a crack about the liberty bell, you freedom hater.

title="comment permalink">May 20, 2007 12:35 PM  
Blogger JM said...

This is a fantastic story; I was a huge fan of Chuckie and the Gong Show. I'm surprised that nobody has tried a remake, although recreating the chemistry of the original would be downright impossible.

title="comment permalink">May 20, 2007 2:35 PM  
Blogger Robert Rouse said...

Most people of my generation first heard the immense talents of Charles Barris Esquire when we heard the song, "Palisades Park". Uh, Chuck wrote it.

title="comment permalink">May 20, 2007 6:09 PM  
Blogger John Good said...

Stan - Sheesh. . .you think you know someone and. . .

PT - I always preferred "The Bionic Woman".

Hill - Flatterer. I was a NERD.

Parson - Chuck often snuck acts like this past the screeners by offering up FAR worse acts.

John - At least we've still got YouTube!

Robert - Always with the trivia! =) Yeah, I read that in "The Game Show King".

title="comment permalink">May 20, 2007 9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

$compressor->finish();