{ require_once('class.compressor.php'); //Include the class. The full path may be required } $compressor = new compressor('css,javascript,page'); Left In Aboite: Friday Nite Retro <$BlogMetaData>


Friday, December 22, 2006

Friday Nite Retro

Welcome to this week's version of Friday Nite Retro here at Left in Aboite!

First up, the lovely new-wave trio of "The Flirts". Andrea, Holly and Rebecca had several dance hits and their videos were heavily featured on MTV in the early eighties, when the channel was still in its infancy. From their debut album "10 Cents A Dance"', here's my favorite, "Jukebox":



Next, we venture back to 1979 with "Pop Music" from M. "M" was more than just a one-hit wonder, he was a one-letter one-hit wonder. Robin Scott's pseudonym came from the Paris Metro signs, and the music itself came from a bunch of electronic instruments, production equipment and drum machines:



Paddy, I didn't forget. . .from 1981, one of my favorite tracks from Chrissie and Company, "Talk of the Town". Bassist Pete Farndon and Guitarist James Honeyman-Scottt didn't make it to the next album; both died from drug overdoses:



In fact, that felt so good. . .let's check in with Chrissie and the new boys in 1999. Watch her decimate all of today's little teen-angel pop queens:



In 2005, when The Pretenders were inducted into The Rock &Roll Hall of Fame, Chrissie noted her founding members with this sentiment:

"I know that The Pretenders have looked like a tribute band for the last 20 years. ... And we’re paying tribute to James Honeyman-Scott and Pete Farndon, without whom we wouldn’t be here. And on the other hand, without us, they might have been here, but that’s the way it works in rock 'n' roll."

Labels: , , , ,

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

6 Comments:

Blogger PTCruiser said...

Wasn't crazy about The Flirts, but loved the rest of the line-up, particularly "M". Nice work, John.

title="comment permalink">December 23, 2006 2:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice tunes.

title="comment permalink">December 23, 2006 2:57 AM  
Blogger Robert Rouse said...

I hated "Pop Music". Loved the Pretenders!

title="comment permalink">December 23, 2006 12:13 PM  
Blogger John Good said...

The Flirts were sorta bubble-gum. It was a catchy little tune that stuck in my head at the time, and I liked the video. ;)

Pop Music, also sorta bubble-gum, but I always liked it. I'd never seen the video before.

You can never go wrong with Chrissie, at least in MY book.

title="comment permalink">December 23, 2006 10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to alot of trouble to look like Chrissie (but blonde) back in the day. Pretty much anything on LIVE I adore, but one song makes me cry every frickin' time. 3 guesses which one!

title="comment permalink">December 24, 2006 12:15 PM  
Blogger John Good said...

Paddy - I have never heard Live. . .I just tried to find it with no luck. I'll try a few more places before I concede defeat!

title="comment permalink">December 26, 2006 7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

$compressor->finish();