{ require_once('class.compressor.php'); //Include the class. The full path may be required } $compressor = new compressor('css,javascript,page'); Left In Aboite: Back Home Again in Indiana <$BlogMetaData>


Sunday, October 01, 2006

Back Home Again in Indiana

(My daughters with their cousin Kyler this weekend)

Hi y'all! Did ya miss me? What's that? Umm. . .yes. Actually I was gone for three days. . .Oh well.

We've just returned from a three-day tour of the great northern land of cheese, badgers, supper-clubs, and steroidal "O"s. Actually a family reunion in northern Wisconsin, rather uneventful. I have ventured to my wife's homeland in the southern part of the state many times, but had never before made the trek northward to her father's place of birth. I thought the 6-hour journey to Janesville was long, and a visit to the family cemetary north of there even longer, but THIS travel. . .it took a full 9 hours and 20 minutes. When we finally got to our hotel, I told my father-in-law, "I didn't realize you were born in Canada,eh!" ;)

At which he laughed deeply and offered my cheese curds. I had brought my own beer. Northern Wisconsin men are a strong and burly breed, and although I am a beer drinker from way back, I feared that I was no match for their full-bodied ale. It was my understanding that the Republican branch of the family lived thereabouts, awakening thoughts of pitchforks and torches chasing me under the northern moonlight. I also feared waking up in the middle of the night with a cheese-head hat on and anti-Colts/Hoosiers tattoos all over my torso. Thus I stuck to my own comforts; pre-planning has always served me well.

A note to my mother-in-law: I must apologize. I saw absolutely NO evidence of native Badgers attempting to eat each other while I was there. I did see a few people who "didn't seem to be in their own skin" however, and a couple of horny guys with picks and shovels. . .not sure exactly what was going on there. . .but, we left alive and well and before sunset. BTW: The US 12 route from Madison to Chi-Town saved us from all of the delays.

It was also nice to see my sister-in-law again. I think her name is Kris. . .it's been a LONG time. ;) You guys ARE my family now; the rest of my own family are all gone, and I appreciate your inclusion of this misplaced Californian-turned-Hoosier. Oh yeah, and after 15 years of trying to draw me out, I'm a QUIET guy, okay?! =)

Last, and most certaintly not least, I wish to thank Stan Matuska for filling in what would have been three long days of NOTHING here at Left in Aboite. And on short notice, no less. I hope you enjoyed his posts, and wish to emphasize that he has access to publish his thoughts here anytime he desires. Stan currently contributes over at Left of Centrist as well. Thanks, Stan!




AddThis Social Bookmark Button

5 Comments:

Blogger Stan Matuska said...

John - Thanks for the opportunity, and the gracious comments about me.
It is quite an honor that both you and Robert at Left of Centrist allow me to post from time to time (and without prior approval of the posts). I'll be back!

title="comment permalink">October 01, 2006 11:39 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

Hey...sounds like you had an interesting time there with the curds and whey and all. It's nice to get home again...tho ain't it?!!

title="comment permalink">October 02, 2006 12:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwww....your girls are adorable!!

Welcome back, John!

title="comment permalink">October 02, 2006 9:35 PM  
Blogger John Good said...

Stan - MY pleasure. Hell, if a friendship of 26 years doesn't merit some agreement and trust. . .

Sumo - Always good to have the home hearth at one's feet.

Barb - I enjoyed meeting the lefty relatives. I e-mailed Kris a link to here, and the photo you saw above.

Pam - Thanks! As are yours!

title="comment permalink">October 02, 2006 9:44 PM  
Blogger John Good said...

I don't hold that against you. I DO hold it against your daughter, tho! At every available moment! ;)

title="comment permalink">October 03, 2006 10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

$compressor->finish();