{ require_once('class.compressor.php'); //Include the class. The full path may be required } $compressor = new compressor('css,javascript,page'); Left In Aboite: Tom Hayhurst's Healthcare Plan <$BlogMetaData>


Sunday, August 27, 2006

Tom Hayhurst's Healthcare Plan

(From Dr.Hayhurst's website)

Affordable Health Care

As a practicing critical-care physician in northeast Indiana for over three decades, I have spent my entire life on the front lines of health care, helping thousands of patients and their families through illnesses and back to good health.

When I saw people in need in my community, I cofounded a free pulmonary clinic. In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, I took my skills to Louisiana to ease the pain. When little was being done to save the inpatient beds at our regional Veterans Administration Hospital , I joined together with my fellow veterans and formed Veterans for Better Health Care to fight for those essential services.

Working to ensure the well-being of my patients has convinced me that every citizen of our great country deserves access to affordable health care. There is no excuse for inaction on this important issue. There is so much that can be done, and done now.

I propose simple, market-based solutions, not a massive federal bureaucracy. My health care platform is grounded in compassion and common sense.

When I am in the U.S. Congress, I will:

• Actively support federal government negotiation with drug companies to secure the highest-quality, lowest-cost medications for our over 41 million seniors on Medicare; too many forced to the make the unthinkable choice between their food and medicines.

• Champion laws supporting the importation of medications, protected by all appropriate Federal Drug Administration safeguards, from other countries.

• Promote plans allowing millions of working people to pool their buying power and gain access to the highest-quality, lowest-cost health care available.

• Advocate for the automatic enrollment of children of eligible, needy families in government-supported health insurance programs.

• Strive to guarantee that our veterans, those who put themselves on the line for freedom's sake, receive the same kind of medical care offered to any member of Congress – nothing less will do.

• Lead an investigation into the runaway costs associated with prescription drug advertising, so that more resources can be put into direct patient care.

Preserving life, sustaining it, bettering has been my calling. It's why I'm running for Congress. It's why I'm resolved that every citizen must have access to affordable health care.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

12 Comments:

Blogger LP Mike Sylvester said...

This is a pretty good statement by the good Dr. There is only one part of it that is scary:

"Advocate for the automatic enrollment of children of eligible, needy families in government-supported health insurance programs."

The last thing we need is more people on government supported health care. That is an awful idea...

Other then that disaster; the plan lists some good ideas and some good points.

If Dr. Tom starts putting out information like this he will improve his chances...

Mike Sylvester

title="comment permalink">August 27, 2006 9:56 PM  
Blogger John Good said...

Mike,

This is the good doctor's first public policy statement, which he told me he'd be releasing soon when I contacted him about the concerns that Jeff Pruitt and yourself expressed to me.

title="comment permalink">August 27, 2006 10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A step in the right direction but where's the press coverage? He should immediately call a press conference to address his policy positions on Iraq, Healthcare, trade, etc. This press conference should highlight the difference between himself and Mark Souder. Simply posting something on your website doesn't get the message out.

When Mark Souder talks, he usually says something foolish. Dr Tom should start pointing out every time Souder puts his foot in his mouth - and he should be doing this on a weekly basis at a minimum...

title="comment permalink">August 28, 2006 12:29 AM  
Blogger Human said...

Sounds okay. The Prescription Drug Coverage Law would have to be undone. It prohibits the gov from negotiating drug prices(the gov could pretty much name the price then). Here in Pa we have a coverage program for children that I've heard good things about.

Peace.

title="comment permalink">August 28, 2006 11:34 AM  
Blogger Robert Rouse said...

Mike, can you please explain to me why it is "awful" to help children? I for one cannot think of a single good reason why helping children could be considered "awful". If this is the poilicy of the Libertarian Party, I can understand why the Libs don't have very many members. Contrary to your belief, not everyone has bootstraps to pull themselves up with.

title="comment permalink">August 28, 2006 2:15 PM  
Blogger John Good said...

Jeff - I get the impression that Tom is following a set schedule and, as I'm not privy to it, I can't say whether or not it is the correct thing to do. I trust his judgement.

Human - We had a good one here as well, been decimated. We also had two DEM govs in a row who fought for full-day kindergarten, but were refused it for political gain. Now, "Our Bitch Mitch" wants to present it to us, like he's some great saviour of our kids. Gimme a friggin' break.

Robert - Excellent point. I beleive I can answer for Mike:
"Because it costs money, money should not be spent! Costs should be outlawed! Children can make their own healthcare choices, but don't make ME pay for it! And MY kids DO have bootstraps! HARUMPH!"

title="comment permalink">August 28, 2006 8:42 PM  
Blogger LP Mike Sylvester said...

To Robert (John Good was not even close):

You are foolish if you think I am not in favor of children. I have two kids that I love and want to provide for. I am currently coordinating a basketball league for kids in K-2nd grade.

The last thing we need is more people in a failed government healthcase system.

Everytime the government throws a pile of money at our healthcare system guess what happens Robert? Costs go up. Since the government is paying more money therefore the healthcare providers jack up their rates.

Today in America we have unfunded Government liablities that exceed fifty TRILLION dollars. What this means is that we would have to have 50 trillion dollars in the bank to pay for all the promises our current politicians have made. Instead we have a debt approacvhing ten trillion dollars.

What this means is we have to either IMMEDIATELY DOUBLE all taxes that we all pay. Everyone livng now would pay this doubled tax, our kids would pay it, and our grand kids would pay it. That is not fair. We are making future generations pay for massive spending they are not getting the benefits from.

The only other option is to immediately cut 50% of government spending and keep that spending cut.

I want my kids to grow up in a country that is financially solvent.

I think that Robert Rouse wants to spend money we do not have today and force our kids and grandkids to pay for it down the road.

On that we do not agree. I am a fiscal conservative. The spending must stop at once.

It is common sense...

Mike Sylvester

title="comment permalink">August 28, 2006 10:57 PM  
Blogger Human said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

title="comment permalink">August 29, 2006 5:46 PM  
Blogger Human said...

Mr. Sylvester - Does the league play on public land or facilities? If so, it seems like a severe and awful misappropiation of taxes. Don't go to the Library or let your kids do so either. I'm sure it is at least partially paid for by taxes. How awful. Public schools? Obviously another boondoggle to created to be a tax sucking machine.

Common Good. Common Weal. Common Ground. It cost money.

Now if we only had a Congress by and for the people that would not abdicate it's Constitutional responsibilties time and time again.

I say let's start with the Defense "budget". Slash that by 50% and then we can start talking about letting children die because of lack of funds in the richest Nation in the world.

Peace. It's possible. It just ain't free.

title="comment permalink">August 29, 2006 5:46 PM  
Blogger LP Mike Sylvester said...

Human:

I agree there are a LOT of places we can cut spending. Believe me I can come up with a list far longer then you listed...

You were just getting started in my opinion...

MIke Sylvester

title="comment permalink">August 29, 2006 7:47 PM  
Blogger John Good said...

Mike,

Again. Look at the numbers, that's your thing. The bloated budget of the military-industrial complex is the biggest and most obvious target for trimming.

Here's something for you to think about. . .back to New Orleans. Actually quite a bit more than just Orleans. DO you realize that for the cost of ONE MONTH'S price of the war in Iraq, a permanent solution for hurricanes could be implimented that would cover the entire gulf coast of the US? Think "Holland" here. . .Would that be a fiscally responsible thing to do? Several billion in preventative maintanence to prevent trillions in damage down the road? Think about that, buddy. ..

title="comment permalink">August 29, 2006 8:56 PM  
Blogger LP Mike Sylvester said...

JOhn:

I am not an anti-war type. That being said, I do agree with you that we could cost a lot of waste, fraud and abuse out of the military. I think we could cut the military budget by 10% and LOSE NOTHING. I think we could cut another 10% and remove extra programs that are un-needed. I think we can EASILY cut 20% out of the military and I think we should.

I would also change the "no bid contracts" and the entire government bidding process...

I do not know how on earth we could make a system that would protect the Coast. That may or may not be a possibility. I would consider it.

Mike Sylvester

title="comment permalink">August 29, 2006 10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

$compressor->finish();