{ require_once('class.compressor.php'); //Include the class. The full path may be required } $compressor = new compressor('css,javascript,page'); Left In Aboite: Georgia sanctions bible classes in public schools <$BlogMetaData>


Sunday, April 23, 2006

Georgia sanctions bible classes in public schools

Fresh from a bruising federal court fight over the teaching of evolution, Georgia marched back into the culture wars last week when Gov. Sonny Perdue signed a bill allowing Bible classes in public high schools. An estimated 8% of the nation's schools offer some form of Bible study. But the Georgia law is the first to set statewide guidelines and earmark public dollars for a Bible course. Five other states are considering similar measures. Georgia's school board has until February 2007 to decide how the courses should be taught, and forces on both sides of the issue are bracing for a messy battle.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

6 Comments:

Blogger pissed off patricia said...

Sorry, didn't mean to blow a fuse in that last comment but all of this stuff about crazy religious people is driving me nuts (as I'm sure is obvious)

title="comment permalink">April 24, 2006 3:31 PM  
Blogger Craig said...

I think it's great as long as it's taught as a form of literature and not "the word of God."

I have a feeling they won't be including the study of the Upanishads or any Buddhist texts.

title="comment permalink">April 24, 2006 4:57 PM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

Actually POP I thought that was mild, and well said.

When I read stories like this it makes me want to say things that would get me a visit from the local authorities just to ask “some questions.”

If I’m passing through Georgia in 10 years and come across some of the graduates of these anti-evolution, anti-science, anti-sex education, pro-prayer public schools, I’d only have one thing to say to them: “Fill it up with regular unleaded, and grab me a New York Times while I’m waiting, you stupid fuck.”

title="comment permalink">April 24, 2006 6:00 PM  
Blogger John Good said...

POP- That's quite alright. I spend alot of time yelling myself.

Craig- I couldn't agree more, but I don't think that lit is their intent.

title="comment permalink">April 24, 2006 6:02 PM  
Blogger John Good said...

Jeremy- If I become more influenced by your attitude, that can only be a good thing! Rock on over at RATR! I love your work over there. .

title="comment permalink">April 24, 2006 6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would agree with the law if it was taught for literature only, however I would object to it ever being used as there are far more appropriate, relevant, and educational texts available to be taught, even in Georgia.

title="comment permalink">April 27, 2006 7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

$compressor->finish();