{ require_once('class.compressor.php'); //Include the class. The full path may be required } $compressor = new compressor('css,javascript,page'); Left In Aboite: Quiet mode <$BlogMetaData>


Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Quiet mode

Hey all. . it's been a long day today, and the muse is in half-sleep mode. But I did catch an interesting little tidbit on Randi Rhodes yesterday. Does anyone know how it came to be that hemp was made to be illegal in this country? Despite all of the "reefer madness" mania from the 1950's, turns out it was just yet another case of corporatism.


Smoking hemp was merely a side venue. It's widely used purpose was for rope-making. Hemp makes an extremely strong natural rope, and was widely used by the United States Navy, as well as many other outfits. A corporation that you may have heard of, DuPont, through it's New York/London division, or NYLon, invented a synthetic substitute for hemp. Problem was, the "NYLon" wasn't nearly as strong as the natural hemp rope, so something had to be done.


Deals were made, palms were greased, and in 1938 hemp was outlawed, and the new Navy contracts specifically required nylon rope to be used. Of course, local farmers in many areas such as ours had planted hemp along the borders of their cropfields as a side business. Therefore, to this day, you will still find "ditchweed" growing rampant in Kosciusko County and other area locales.


Frankly, I have no real opinion on marijuana. I grew up in the 70's, so I obviously tried it. It made me nauseous when I did. If you enjoy it, I have no problem with that. It's probably no worse than, and maybe even less overall harmful than alcohol. I think we've probably wasted alot of money and lives trying to keep people from smoking the stuff.

That's my report for today, March 29, 2006. May you have a pleasant tomorrow. And don't forget to lose an hour's worth of sleep and change every god-damned clock in your house and car Saturday night. Thanks, Midget Daniels. We look forward to making your ass unemployed in the near future.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

5 Comments:

Blogger LP Mike Sylvester said...

I am obvisoulsy a Libertarian; however, I have never smoked weed. I have never been into drugs. They just have never had an interest to me.

I think that MJ should be governed by the fifty states and we need to get The Federal government out of MJ. They have screwed it up badly...

What do you think of the SACS drug policy John?

I do NOT like the fact that all teachers, administrators, coaches, etc. are not drug tested and certain students are.

Mike Sylvester

title="comment permalink">March 29, 2006 8:47 PM  
Blogger John Good said...

Mike,
I think that if you're going to test the students, than the faculty should be subjected as well. As with most enforcement issues, let's level the playing field.

title="comment permalink">March 29, 2006 8:54 PM  
Blogger Andrew Kaduk said...

Yeah, like the NEA would stand for THAT. John, you're picking fights with your own team...

LOL

title="comment permalink">March 29, 2006 11:14 PM  
Blogger LP Mike Sylvester said...

I actually do not think John is picking fights with his own team.

I think John is a LOT like Andrew and myself. We think for ourselves and we DO NOT SUPPORT THE PARTY LINE.

That is most likely why I like John's blog...

Mike Sylvester

title="comment permalink">March 30, 2006 12:04 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I worry more about prescription drug abuse and alcoholism than pot smoking..both of the above mentioned happen more often than you think in the workplace..

title="comment permalink">April 01, 2006 2:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

$compressor->finish();