{ require_once('class.compressor.php'); //Include the class. The full path may be required } $compressor = new compressor('css,javascript,page'); Left In Aboite: A Heart for Dad <$BlogMetaData>


Sunday, November 30, 2008

A Heart for Dad

We had some issues with our younger daughter this weekend involving her computer usage and some inappropriate language she had picked up from YouTube. Sabrina has always favored her mother, despite my efforts to reach her. She was understandably miffed tonight after I removed her "favorites" from her computer (including the offensive content) and blocked her access to YouTube and several other sites.

Despite that, I performed some sorely needed maintenance on her computer and played games with her this evening. A few hours ago, I walked into the kid's playroom and saw some drawings that Sabrina quickly tried to hide from me. She'd drawn several pictures expressing her love for all family members, with the glaring exception of me, even adding me to one as crocodile fodder. I dispatched her to bed at this point, and sulked a bit.

Later, when I told her older sister that it was time to turn in, she hugged me, said "I love you, daddy" and told me that she had made the following artwork just for me. I'm a little bit teary as I type this:



Labels: , ,

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

4 Comments:

Blogger Stan Matuska said...

John - Isn't parenting a bitch! (LOL) All I can say are three things based upon my experiences:

1) Never show favoritism
2) You can be a parent or you can be a friend, but never both (hint, choose the parent)
3) If I had it to do all over again, I would have been harder on my kids. You want to love them so much that you forget that respect doesn't come without pain

title="comment permalink">December 01, 2008 7:40 AM  
Blogger Human said...

Good catch. Of course there are times to be variable, but not when it comes with guardig your daughter from the nasty part of the 'net. Still, I must say the response to the art work was a chance to further talk about her feelings. Art is a great way to express feeelings.
I wound find it hard not to show favoritism. I would try of course. I guess what with us having an only Child we don't have to face that.
Peace.

title="comment permalink">December 01, 2008 3:29 PM  
Blogger Spadoman said...

I am the Father of three girls. My oldest left this world after an automobile crash in 1991. parenthood certainly means having to teach them. Like the song from CSNY, "Teach Your Children". There is a line that goes something like, ...must have a code, with which to live by.

They get these messages if we give them with love. Even when they hate the message, they get it/ Believe me. My daughters no longer need my lessons. They are older and on their own and have been. Now, they call me and ask, "What's new, Dad?"

It is the hardest thing to get through, but the reward is there in moments like the one you experienced.There will be many more I'm sure. Keep up the "Good" work.

Peace to all.

title="comment permalink">December 02, 2008 7:26 AM  
Blogger John Good said...

Thanks, guys. I don't think I'd change much of anything!

title="comment permalink">December 02, 2008 9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

$compressor->finish();