{ require_once('class.compressor.php'); //Include the class. The full path may be required } $compressor = new compressor('css,javascript,page'); Left In Aboite: Ignorance and Intolerance in Allen County <$BlogMetaData>


Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Ignorance and Intolerance in Allen County

I just finished reading a post by my friend, Sheri Rouse, in which she stated that she had come to doubt her own faith due to the actions of "so-called Christians" in this community as well as in her own place of worship. Sheri was rightfully disgusted by a letterboard sign posted in front of the Marantha Chapel in Harlan:

When a true follower of Christ such as Sheri Rouse is forced to examine her religious beliefs due to the actions of sheeplike individuals who practice only the parts of the scripture that they choose to follow, a point of no return has been reached. Actions by folks like the ones she describes in her post have forced me firmly into the agnostic column, despite a strong Christian upbringing.

I think, nay I know, that Sheri will endure this test with her faith reaffirmed. She will fight back against those who profess faith but practice intolerance and division. It is her very nature to do so. After reading Sheri's post, I clicked over to the local Democratic Party website and found that Kevin Knuth had also picked up on this story. Kevin reports that after contacts and complaints were made, the sign has disappeared. While I'm glad to hear that piece of news, I can only assume that the true message of the sign still exists, albeit only in the heart and mind of the pastor that originally posted it's message of hate and intolerance on that signboard. Sleep well tonight, sir. If you can.

Labels: ,

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

4 Comments:

Blogger Sheri said...

Thanks for your kind words John, I know my faith will continue, I am not certain my relationship with organized religion will. And I am not so certain I care.

title="comment permalink">October 28, 2008 9:40 PM  
Blogger Parson said...

I'm sure some conservative asshat will say something like, "the sign just ask a question".

title="comment permalink">October 28, 2008 9:54 PM  
Blogger Sheri said...

According to WANE tv, a church official said, "All I done was ask a question"

title="comment permalink">October 28, 2008 9:56 PM  
Blogger John Good said...

"All I done was highlight ignorance and intolerance"

- John Good

title="comment permalink">October 28, 2008 10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

$compressor->finish();