{ require_once('class.compressor.php'); //Include the class. The full path may be required } $compressor = new compressor('css,javascript,page'); Left In Aboite: The Appalachia Effect <$BlogMetaData>


Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Appalachia Effect


I've read a couple of interesting posts regarding this section of the country, and the election results there. Check them out here and here. Looks like Hillary has a base. . .a base that looks much like the front row at a Willie Nelson concert - 200 feet, and 3 teeth:

The ethnic and cultural character of this part of the country has been more static since the 19th century than anyplace in America. Outside of some of the new growth areas north of Atlanta or Huntsville, or in some of the college towns, most of the people in Appalachia trace their heritage back to immigrants from the borderlands of Northern Britain who began settling the region over 200 years ago. Outside of the Northern part of Appalachia—Pennsylvania in particular—relatively few Eastern or Southern Europeans from the great waves of immigration that started in the 1880's have moved in to the area. It's the most homogeneous region in America

Labels: , ,

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

3 Comments:

Blogger billie said...

i am part of the area- in upstate new york. when folks think new york- they don't often think of this. scranton is about an hour away from me- and as we know- clinton's dad is from scranton. i just posted on the racist views of my neighbors- and while i didn't ask how they voted, i am reasonably certain that they won't be voting obama anytime soon. i have given up saying anything because i am moving. i have lived here for 12 years and nothing has changed but me.

title="comment permalink">May 15, 2008 8:20 AM  
Blogger GraceBeading said...

I just returned from a week in Eastern KY. Booneville to be exact - I was up in the hills at least 30 minutes from 'town'. I didn't get the impression that folks were big Hillary supporters, but I didn't speak to a whole lot of folks about politics. Now I wish I would have.

title="comment permalink">May 15, 2008 10:32 AM  
Blogger John Good said...

Betmo - Sorry to hear that. I thought I saw your town on that map. . .

Grace - That could have been some very interesting conversation!

title="comment permalink">May 15, 2008 8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

$compressor->finish();