{ require_once('class.compressor.php'); //Include the class. The full path may be required } $compressor = new compressor('css,javascript,page'); Left In Aboite: Who'll Stop the Rain?! <$BlogMetaData>


Monday, August 20, 2007

Who'll Stop the Rain?!

This isn't actually a picture taken here in Indiana today, but it COULD be! The forecast calls for more of this tomorrow. . .and Wednesday. . .and Thursday. . .and. . .well, you get the point.

When we suffered through one of the driest summers on record here in the midwest, we never realized that all of the missing precipitation was merely being banked by Mother Nature for one enormous show in late August. . .she must be a fan of the "wait for it" school of theater. All I know for sure is that my dead lawn looks rather depressing, floating underneath the numerous ponds that have developed all over it. The mulch that I so carefully applied earlier in the summer has made a desperate escape attempt; riding the swirling streams of water halfway into the yard, and smothering what grass defiantly dared to grow during the long dry spell - a double herbicide, indeed.

I am certain that our gutters should be functioning normally; I installed gutter guards on them myself, and my wife cleared all of the tree debris from the roof in June. Yet that roaring sound coming from the front door turned out to be rainwater pouring off of the top of the gutter and assisting the mulch in it's futile efforts to return to the mother tree! I care not to investigate, and shall not until all has dried out once more.

My sleep last eve was fitful and disturbed. I kept awaking to a loud, oddly familiar, growling sound from the depths below our bedroom. Fearing that a bear, or at the very least a large raccoon, had invaded the basement, I wisely remained in bed secure in the knowledge that the beast would likely drown down there if the sump pump fail. . .oh! Well, I hadn't heard the wretched thing run in nearly 3 months!!

The lake in our back yard (Not from the rain; it's always been there) seems to be getting closer. I just looked out the back door, and I swear that it's 50 yards closer to the house! I fear that sleep tonight may be a challenge again; and wish I wasn't such an avid reader of Stephen King . .at least the growling will bother me no more. Thank heavens we disposed of the water bed several years ago - I would wake up screaming in a cold sweat for sure!

I'm certain that this was all bound to occur sooner or later. We live in a town called Fort Rain, the local weather service is called NOAA, our esteemed state representative is named Moses, and we're famous for our Three Rivers Festival. You can't say that we weren't warned. . .

Good night. . .I hope.

Labels: ,

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

7 Comments:

Blogger Parson said...

You might want to start working on that ark sometime soon.

title="comment permalink">August 20, 2007 9:48 PM  
Blogger John Good said...

Can you rally a group of Amish craftsmen to assist in this endeavor?

I KNOW you have some pull with them. . .;)

title="comment permalink">August 20, 2007 9:50 PM  
Blogger Stan Matuska said...

When I got home from work, my in-ground pool was about to overflow! It is normally about 6 inches from the top! I drained it back to normal only to discover wrinkles in the bottom liner, and later to my horror, I saw the sides bowing towards the middle. Theres a LOT of water behind the liner!!!

I just checked, and the pool has risen a few more inches already! I took a bucket and emptied 12 buckets of water out of it. I didn't want to use the pump to drain more because of the noise.

I have family coming from California on Wednesday, and i just couldn't wait to show off our new pool.

Any suggestions on how to correct the problem?

title="comment permalink">August 21, 2007 12:20 AM  
Blogger Mary Ellen said...

Our pool is also overflowing...the sump pump is going off every few minutes (thank goodness we just put in a new one at the beginning of summer), and I just can't take another day of this!

It's the kids last week of summer vacation and they are all stuck in the house. It looks like Wednesday may be our only break until the weekend...well, sort of. They predict rain in the late afternoon. I'm taking my granddaughter to the zoo Wed. morning-one last shot at outdoor fun.

On the good side...my grass is beautiful, my flowers are just gorgeous-never saw my garden looking so good!

title="comment permalink">August 21, 2007 10:41 AM  
Blogger Chuck said...

As you know, what weather you get, we get shortly thereafter, so you've just described ours perfectly. We've had some of the worst lightning & thunder in the last 24 hours that I've seen or heard in years. Internet & telephone were out, but strangely enough, cable and electricity stayed on.

Water and leaves standing over crackly, spotty golden brown grass (unlike Mary Ellen's above), tree limbs by the hundreds and pathetic vegetable and flower gardens (that we constantly watered during the 100+ degrees oppressive days of July and early August) pretty much describe our property today. Humidity is back to 125% and thunderstorms are forecast for the next seven days, although the sun has peeked out a few times this morning.

title="comment permalink">August 21, 2007 12:24 PM  
Blogger Mary Ellen said...

We've had quite a bit of rain all summer in my area. I only watered my grass a couple of times when we had about a week or two of really hot weather. Very strange, because it isn't that far south that it was a drought.

It makes me wonder what kind of winter we'll have.

title="comment permalink">August 21, 2007 1:30 PM  
Blogger John Good said...

Stan & Mary Ellen - *I* have a pool NOW.

Chuck - Sorry! Consider us your "early warning system"! =)

title="comment permalink">August 22, 2007 9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

$compressor->finish();