{ require_once('class.compressor.php'); //Include the class. The full path may be required } $compressor = new compressor('css,javascript,page'); Left In Aboite: Brad Delp (Boston) dead at 55 <$BlogMetaData>


Monday, March 12, 2007

Brad Delp (Boston) dead at 55


Brad Delp was found dead in his home in Atkinson, New Hampshire March 9th. That day, the official Web site for the band was taken down and replaced with the statement: "We've just lost the nicest guy in rock and roll." He was scheduled to perform with Beatlejuice in Somerville, Massachusetts, on the day he died. Beatlejuice has canceled its upcoming shows in the wake of Delp's death.



On the evening of March 10, 2007, the family released a statement on behalf of Brad Delp :

“On behalf of the Delp family and Brad’s fiancée, Pamela Sullivan, it is with great sorrow that we announce the passing of Bradley Delp, the legendary vocalist of the rock band ‘BOSTON.’ Brad was admired and loved by many, known as the ‘man with the golden voice’ and recognized throughout the music community as ‘the nicest man in rock and roll.’ Brad will be deeply missed by (all) of his family, friends, fans and the entire music community.” “We ask that you please respect the privacy of Brad and his family during this time of grieving. The family will be conducting a private funeral service for Brad and a public memorial service will be announced at a later date,” stated Peggy Rose, Delp family spokeswoman.



A couple days after Delp's passing, Tom Scholz posted a longer statement on the official Boston webpage:

As you all know by now, BOSTON'S lead singer, Brad Delp, was found dead in his home on Friday, March 9th 2007. Plans for live BOSTON performances this summer have, of course, been cancelled. My heart goes out to his wonderful fiance Pamela, his two children and other family members, his close friends and band mates, and to the millions of people whose lives were made a little brighter by the sound of his voice. He will be dearly missed.



During his set in Bournemouth, on March 10, 2007, supporting Journey, Danny Vaughn was joined on stage by Journey's lead singer, Jeff Scott Soto, and played "Rock 'N Roll Band" as a tribute to Delp.



Barry Goudreau, fellow Boston Bandmate, posted the following message on his website :

It is with tremendous sorrow that I report the death of my friend, musical collaborator and brother in-law, Brad Delp. His soaring, seemingly effortless vocals graced millions of Boston records as well as the numerous musical projects that we did together. He will be sorely missed by his many friends and his family. Anyone who met Brad knows he was the sweetest, kindest person you could have known. I hope he can rest in peace.



Boston was my favorite band when I was in high school, and Delp's vocals were a big part of that. The man's pipes were a perfect accompaniment to the band's guitars. I enjoyed every album he ever sang on from Boston to RTZ. I had not heard Beatlejuice; I'll definitely check that out as well now. . .Rest in Peace Sir. . .

Labels: ,

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

6 Comments:

Blogger Robert Rouse said...

While I agree that Delp was a tremendous vocalist, and I thought the first Boston album was a phenomenal piece of work, I had trouble when I heard the second album - my trouble was that I felt I had heard it before as their first album.. When they were working on their third album and I heard how much time, effort and money were being put into it, I was hoping for something different. Once again I was was disappointed. I spoke with Tom Scholz at the NAMM show in Chicago, I mentioned this and he told me that it was tough to change because, (a.) His guitar sound was a signature sound (b.) Delp's voice was so unique and more importantly (c.) the record company wouldn't allow them them a lot of leeway in changing what had previously been seen as profitable. He said this was the reason they moved from Epic to MCA in the mid '80s. Unfortunately, I think this was a major problem in the late '70s and '80s music scene. Innovation and evolution were frowned upon by the labels. Perhaps having so many artists putting their own careers in their hands with Internet sales, etc. may bring some more revolution to the music industry. But back to the point of the post. Delp was great.

title="comment permalink">March 12, 2007 8:57 PM  
Blogger John Good said...

Oddly enough, that repetition kept me a fan. There have been few bands/singers whose sound I truly enjoyed every note of. Boston was the very first of those for me.

I was always the type to buy 45's or tape singles - I hated wasted money on an entire album when I only liked a song or two.That being said, I have every Boston album. =)

title="comment permalink">March 12, 2007 9:02 PM  
Blogger Me said...

OK, I fess up. Yes, I loved Boston. There, I said it.
RIP, Brad.

title="comment permalink">March 13, 2007 2:29 AM  
Blogger Human said...

I loved Boston too.
Rest in Peace Brad.

title="comment permalink">March 13, 2007 5:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Boston was the first band that made me realize the sonic and Harmonic capabilities possible in a "Rock-N-Roll Band". Brad Delp's seemingly effortless ability to reach stratispheric highs with his voice (And then layer an even higher Harmony Part)left me speechless. I had the privilege of meeting him when I foolishly slid past secuirity at an outdoor show to give Brad Delp the "I'm not Worthy" bow in front of the stage. In front of a festival crowd of thousands he walked to the end of the stage, kneeled down and hugged my neck and gave me a Boston Guitar pick in the middle of "More than a Feeling". In that moment, I realized that was one of the greatest moments in my life. He was a great singer and an even greater person, Brad, you will be missed by all who knew you. Godspeed on your journey, and "Don't Look Back". Karl Sven Vinson

title="comment permalink">March 16, 2007 1:14 AM  
Blogger adopt1 said...

Anyone who loved his voice, might want to check out these video clips of 2 songs off Brad's unreleased solo project:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SuiZKEavXc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qZ_QTnx2mI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkkMpCKkL1s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxer03Gkuy8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp2pLb1yLks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNnfLvBmCPc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evfuhDNQnCM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d879t9rPSb8

title="comment permalink">February 05, 2008 1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

$compressor->finish();