{ require_once('class.compressor.php'); //Include the class. The full path may be required } $compressor = new compressor('css,javascript,page'); Left In Aboite: Friday Nite Retro <$BlogMetaData>


Friday, January 19, 2007

Friday Nite Retro

Welcome once again to Friday Nite Retro! Tonight I'm indulging myself with the works of my all-time favorite song-writer and crazy son-of-a-bitch, Jim Steinman. Many will recognize that name as the creative genius behind the artist Meatloaf, but Steinman was involved in many other projects over the years. His style is sort of "rock-opera", and his style is easy to hear in all of these songs.

I skipped the obvious choices of "Two Out of Three Aint Bad" and "Paradise By the Dashboard Light", and selected one of my favorite tracks from Meatloaf's 1977 album, Bat Out of Hell (The angry man on the right is Jim Steinman):

Took the Words Right Out of my Mouth


In 1981, Steinman had a sequel to Bat Out of Hell ready to go, but Meatloaf's voice was NOT! So Steinman recorded the album "Bad For Good" himself, reaching #32 on the charts in July of that year with my all-time favorite Steinman tune. I was unable to find a decent copy of his video, so I've subbed Meat's later rendition from Bat Out of Hell II:

Rock & Roll Dreams Come Through


The following tune was also an original Steinman track from Bad For Good. Possibly the saddest song in the world. . . Again, no original video could be found, but Barbra Streisand covered it beautifully in her 1984 album "Emotion". This was Streisand's first-ever music video:

Left in the Dark Again


Everybody knows THIS one! Steinman was looking for just the right voice to pull this one off, and despite his initial reaction to Bonnie Tyler's voice ("Sounds like Rod Stewart in mid-orgasm"), the right choice was obviously made for this 80's power ballad. Steinman performs backup vocals on this one; He's the "turn around, bright eyes" voice that you hear:

Total Eclipse of the Heart


Barry Manilow covered Steinman's song "Read 'em and Weep" and carried it to the top of the adult contemporary chart in early 1984. Recurring theme tonight, no video of that available, so here's Meatloaf's version:

Read 'em and Weep


Steinman wrote this little tune for the boys in Air Supply as well:

Making Love Out of Nothing at all


Love it or hate it, this Steinman-penned tune sung by Celine Dion was a smash hit:

It's All Coming Back to Me Now


I've tried to keep this one short, believe it or not! I'm a big fan; I could write volumes about Jim Steinman. He's still keeping himself VERY busy and regularly updates his website.

Labels: , , , , , ,

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, i didn't know he wrote all of those songs. I just thought he was Meatloaf.

title="comment permalink">January 19, 2007 11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I picked up Bat of Hell III the other day, It's "ok". Nothing really exciting.

title="comment permalink">January 20, 2007 4:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I have to go to "town" to buy a birthday present for one of my grandsons, but when I get back home, I'm coming straight back here to spend time listening to EACH. I did read your description of each, and that Rod Stewart in mid-orgasm thing was HILARIOUS!!.
Be back shortly.

title="comment permalink">January 20, 2007 3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just noticed that It's All Coming Back to Me Now
song is on this BoH III CD, just Meatloaf singing it.

title="comment permalink">January 20, 2007 3:06 PM  
Blogger Human said...

OT but 4 Indiana Kids are missing.

Be on the Look Out for
Jerry D. White, a 30 year old black male, 5’10”, 165, Black hair and Brown eyes and may be driving either a 2000 Red 4d, Dodge Intrepid with Illinois plate 9613090 or a 1993 Beige 2d Saturn with Indiana license 20T1089. Jerry D. White is alleged to have shot one person just prior to abducting the children and also abducted the children’s mother, Kimberly N. Walker, a 31 year old black female, 5’6”, 105, last seen wearing jeans, a navy and light blue jacket and tennis shoes. Jerry D. White fled the area of the abduction with the children and mother, as described, and is believed to be armed and dangerous. Anyone seeing Jerry D. White or the children and mother should call the Elkhart P.D. at 1-888-58AMBER that number is 1-888-582-6237.

More info at
http://www.amberalertindiana.com/

title="comment permalink">January 20, 2007 4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lordy! he's like todd rundgren!!!! i had no idea that he wrote all of those songs!

title="comment permalink">January 20, 2007 5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have always used the word "eloquent" when describing his music. When you look at him you usually see a sweaty slobby dude, but his music has always had so much meaning to me. I never knew that Barbara Streisand recorded that song, I have a cd somewhere with Meatleaf performing the song... I was very pleased to see him on whichever one of those New Year's Eve shows...I would love to see him in concert.

title="comment permalink">January 20, 2007 6:07 PM  
Blogger John Good said...

Torp - So did alot of people. Meatloaf performed more of Steinman's work than anyone else over the years. Meatloaf was a Texan actor when Steinman found him; he had appeared in the musical "Hair". . .

PArson - I too heard it was so so. Steinman didn't collaborate with Meat on this one, but alot of his songs are in there, natch.

Hill - We'll wait fer ya. . .

Human - Thanks; it's been all over the tv here.

Super - Odd yoy should mention Rundgren; he was a huge musical part of Bat Out of Hell. In the title track from that album, the revving motorcycle that you hear is actually Rundgren synthing a guitar!


Jess - Steinman isn't Meatloaf. (ALOT of people think that.) Although Stienman is a bit heavy these days. Check out the first video I posted; Steinman is the long-haired dude who's questioning the girl.

title="comment permalink">January 20, 2007 6:49 PM  
Blogger Anon-Paranoid said...

Hey John....
Sorry to blog whore, but I thought you might be interested in this.

See my latest post on my site about the death of Barney. At least one more update, maybe two for the full story so you will need to check back a few times to read it all.

Also anyone else who's interested is welcome.

God Bless.

title="comment permalink">January 20, 2007 7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came back as promised, and I swear to you, this has been about the BEST 40 or so minutes I've had THIS WEEK. Oh, thank you!!! Even Hubby, who normally never even glances at a computer monitor, came & stood over my shoulder as we watched the vids & listened to the marvelous music. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
BTW, in "Rock and Roll Dream Come Through" correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't that a YOUNG Angelina Jolie there?

title="comment permalink">January 20, 2007 8:43 PM  
Blogger John Good said...

I am SO glad you both enjoyed it! I'm a Steinman fan from WAY back. Yes, that's Jolie, I was gonna question the "young" until I realized that album came out in 1993. That seems like yesterday to me, but it was FOURTEEN YEARS AGO!!

MY GOD I'M GETTING OLD!!!!

title="comment permalink">January 20, 2007 8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was some legal troubles between Meatloaf and Steinman that delayed BoH III, I guess they don't get along so well these days. The CD jacket everything is honey and roses though, Thanking Steinman and all. I would say if you seen it on sale it would be worth getting.

title="comment permalink">January 21, 2007 3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I after the YOUNG Angelina Jolie thing I just had to watch that video again. Did anyone notice the part were the guy hads the kid a shotgun? People would be going insane if that was shown on MTV now days.

title="comment permalink">January 21, 2007 3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, John, you've created a monster here. I came back to read the comments again on this WONDERFUL Friday Retro, and after reading your last comment, I thought "Ain't we all?"
I'm nothing more than an old rocker at heart, although my obsession for YEARS now has been Gary Moore & his guitar. Yup, this Texas chica just loves the dude from Belfast.
And...after reading what PARSON said about the vid with Angelina, now I HAD TO go back and watch it again. OMFG!!! He did hand the kid a shotgun! Does MTV even show music vids anymore? Every time I run through the satellite menu, they have on some ridiculously stupid "series" or whatever.

title="comment permalink">January 21, 2007 10:06 PM  
Blogger John Good said...

Parson - You are correct about the "spat". And also that I would like the album. I still need to go back and rewatch that last vid!

Hill - As a friend of Parson and mine would say "The horizon is beginning to look dark". . .ack!

I know. . .I used to love MTV. I laugh and nod everytime I hear Bowling For Soup's "1985" and the line about that. . .Hmmm. . .I may hafta post THAT video just for shits and giggles!

title="comment permalink">January 22, 2007 7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

$compressor->finish();