{ require_once('class.compressor.php'); //Include the class. The full path may be required } $compressor = new compressor('css,javascript,page'); Left In Aboite: Friday Nite Retro <$BlogMetaData>


Friday, January 12, 2007

Friday Nite Retro

I'm going to warn you in advance, this is a very long Friday Nite Retro. As it turns out, that is quite befitting of the artist I chose to profile this evening, Paul Carrack. I knew Paul was in several bands but I had no idea how extensive his work has been.

His career began as the keyboard player for Warm Dust (1970-72). When they broke up, he and Warm Dust bassist Tex Comer formed a band called "Ace". Carrack wrote and performed the band's debut single. The song, "How Long", turned out to be a one-hit-wonder:

Ace - "How Long"


After Ace disbanded in 1977, Paul did session work with Roxy Music and Franki Miller. In 1981, Glen Tilbrook recruited Paul for Squeeze's "West Side Story" album. Paul sang lead on this hit from that album:

Squeeze - "Tempted"


Paul was one busy musician in the 1980's, jumping around from band to band and doing session work for numerous others including The Smiths, The Pretenders,Nick Lowe and John Hiatt. But he still managed to get out some decent solo efforts as well, such as this personal favorite of mine:

Paul Carrack - "I Need You"


In 1985 Mike Rutherford of Genesis asked Paul to join his new band "Mike & the Mechanics". He was one of two alternating lead vocalist for the group, and sang lead on this hit:

Mike & The Mechanics - "Silent Running"


During the late 80's, Paul was also worked with Roger Waters and Berlin as well as returning to sing M&tM's second hit "Living Years". In the middle of all of that he cranked out another solo album, which featured this tune:

Paul Carrack - "Don't Shed a Tear"


In 1990, Carrack was recruited to perform in the groundbreaking live stage show of The Wall in Berlin by Roger Waters. He performed "Hey You" to the crowd of 250,000. He briefly reunited with Squeeze in 1993, and re-recorded "Tempted". His next project was doomed to fail however. . .he teamed up with Timothy B. Schmit and Don Felder of The Eagles for an ambitious but ultimately unrealized recording project. They reformed The Eagles before an album could be completed.

However, they took with them one of the songs that Paul had penned, recorded it with The Eagles and took it straight up the charts. That song won an award as being the most-played single in America in 1995. It was also Jody and I's first dance as a married couple at our wedding reception on June 3rd of that same year:


The Eagles - "Love Will Keep Us Alive"


Paul maintains his active solo career, as well as his career as a session musician. He also became Mike + The Mechanics only lead vocalist after the death of Paul Young in 2000. In 2004 the band was officially re-named Mike + The Mechanics & Paul Carrack.


Discography

Paul's biggest solo hit, "Don't Shed A Tear," came after he signed as a solo artist to Chrysalis Records in 1987 .

Solo Albums

  • 1980 Nightbird
  • 1982 Suburban Voodoo
  • 1987 One Good Reason
  • 1989 Groove Approved
  • 1996 Blue Views
  • 1997 Beautiful World
  • 2000 Satisfy My Soul
  • 2001 Groovin'
  • 2003 It Ain't Over
  • 2005 Winter Wonderland

Compilations

  • 1987 Ace Mechanic
  • 1988 The Carrack Collection
  • 1994 Twenty-One Good Reasons: The Paul Carrack Collection
  • 1995 Carrackter Reference
  • 2006 Greatest Hits - The Story So Far

Solo Hit Singles

  • "I Need You" (US #37, 1982)
  • "When You Walk in the Room" (UK #48, 1987)
  • "Don't Shed A Tear" (US #9/UK #60, 1987)
  • "One Good Reason (US #28, 1988)
  • "I Live By The Groove" (US #31, 1989)
  • "Eyes of Blue" (UK #40, 1996)
  • "How Long" (UK #32, 1996)
  • "For Once In Our Lives" (US #72, 1997)

Ace Hit Singles

  • "How Long" (US #3/UK #20 1975)

Squeeze Hit Singles (with Carrack on lead vocal)

  • "Tempted" (US #49/UK #41, 1981)

Mike + The Mechanics Hit Singles (with Carrack on lead vocal)

  • "Silent Running" (US #21/UK #6, 1985)
  • "The Living Years" (US #1/UK #2, 1989)
  • "Over My Shoulder" (UK #12, 1995)
  • "Now That You've Gone" (UK #35, 1999)


Labels: , , , , , ,

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Carrack was one busy artist. Love his voice. Thank you for bringing back some memories my friend.

Peace.

title="comment permalink">January 13, 2007 12:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! What a trip down memory lane!

I love the videos, too!

title="comment permalink">January 13, 2007 1:08 AM  
Blogger sumo said...

Silly me...I thought at some point he'd been with the "Little River Band"...he sure sounds like the lead singer of that band. Enjoyed hearing him again.

title="comment permalink">January 13, 2007 3:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've seen Squeeze, Difford & Tillbrook, and Carrack more than any other band. At least 10 times combined.

John- Mike Stark has a new diary about the latest.

New Mike Stark story

title="comment permalink">January 13, 2007 11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am terrible with names. Those are many of my favorite songs and I didn't even know it was the same talent. Go figure.

title="comment permalink">January 13, 2007 12:58 PM  
Blogger Sheri said...

I love most everything Squeeze has done, but Tempted is my favorite. . .

title="comment permalink">January 13, 2007 6:11 PM  
Blogger John Good said...

TPR - It is truly my pleasure.

MsLib - You are quite welcome. Thanks for stopping by.

Sumo - That would be Glenn Shorrock. I've been accused of sounding like him as well, so I guess that's a compliment. =)

Paddy - I'm envious. Did you hear Tilbrook's recent album? The track I heard was called "Untouchable".

Fernando - Me too! I was surprised at how many things he was involved in.

Sheri - For me, it's a tossup between that one and Black Coffee in Bed.

title="comment permalink">January 13, 2007 7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As you can probably tell by your statcounter or sitemeter, I have been here a long time. I listened (from beginning to end) EACH music vid. I would be hard-pressed to pick my fave. But what a wonderful way to spend a cold, rainy & miserable evening listening to this marvelous music.
THANK YOU!!!

title="comment permalink">January 13, 2007 9:51 PM  
Blogger John Good said...

Thank YOU! Knowing that I gave someone some comfort and enjoyment on an otherwise miserable evening is all that I could ask for. =)

title="comment permalink">January 13, 2007 9:59 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

Nice. I love "How Long".

title="comment permalink">January 15, 2007 2:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

$compressor->finish();