{ require_once('class.compressor.php'); //Include the class. The full path may be required } $compressor = new compressor('css,javascript,page'); Left In Aboite: Censorship in Georgia? <$BlogMetaData>


Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Censorship in Georgia?

Woman Sues Over Ticket for Anti-Bush Bumper Sticker

Denise Grier, 47, of Athens, Ga., who got a $100 ticket in March after a DeKalb County police officer spotted her "I'm Tired Of All The BUSHIT" bumper sticker, has filed a federal lawsuit against the county. Although a DeKalb judge threw out the ticket in April because the state's lewd decal law that formed the basis for the ticket was ruled unconstitutional in 1990, Grier is seeking damages for "emotional distress" against the county, according to the lawsuit.

Grier is also seeking a declaration in the federal court that her bumper sticker is considered protected speech under the First Amendment because she is "uncertain and insecure regarding her right to display her bumper sticker in DeKalb County," according to the details of her lawsuit.

"This type of sarcasm in relation to political figures is as old as the country," said her attorney, Frank Derrickson. "We think this bumper sticker is just the latest example of this. We want to be assured that not just Ms. Grier but anyone who wants to have fun with the powers that be should be able to do that under the First Amendment." Derrickson said Grier still has the anti-Bush bumper sticker on her car, adding "I think she's got better ones than that, at least the ones that I saw".

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

12 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Kaduk said...

I hope she wins. Even if she is, in fact, a total twit, I think that "decency laws" are quite archaic and most are indeed unconstitutional.

title="comment permalink">October 17, 2006 7:52 PM  
Blogger John Good said...

Andy - Two comments in two days! Good to know that you're still with us. I agree (other'n the "twit" part). Heheheh

title="comment permalink">October 17, 2006 8:05 PM  
Blogger Marked Hoosier said...

I support her bumper sticker, but I hate bumper stickers on principal.

They. Won't. Come. Off.

It is like they become one with the car... or at least your paint job. I may just be bitter because a few years ago some slapped a republican sticker on my car around election time, and ripping it off took paint with it. I am still pissed about that...

title="comment permalink">October 17, 2006 9:46 PM  
Blogger Marked Hoosier said...

Ugh... that should say:

"support her right to a bumper sticker."

Write I cannot.

title="comment permalink">October 17, 2006 9:47 PM  
Blogger John Good said...

Mark - I know. I had to repaint my back bumper after removing my Kerry/Edwards sticker. Actually it needed repainted before that, so no gripes.

But I DO tend to place my bumper stickers on the INSIDE of my windows. That way they can't be defaced or removed.. .

title="comment permalink">October 17, 2006 10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's total BUSHIT!! AS far as I can tell freedom of speech has not yet been overturned in this country.

title="comment permalink">October 17, 2006 10:05 PM  
Blogger John Good said...

Pam - It's too damned close for comfort right now!!

title="comment permalink">October 17, 2006 10:14 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

Good for her! Piss on them!

title="comment permalink">October 17, 2006 10:41 PM  
Blogger Andrew Kaduk said...

I couldn't leave you, John. My wife reads your page at least twice a day...I can't get away from it.

title="comment permalink">October 17, 2006 11:19 PM  
Blogger Marked Hoosier said...

I couldn't leave you, John. My wife reads your page at least twice a day...I can't get away from it.

*sniff... you had him at Hello...

title="comment permalink">October 18, 2006 12:23 AM  
Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

That's democracy in action? LOL the cop needs to be slapped twice!

title="comment permalink">October 19, 2006 4:40 PM  
Blogger John Good said...

KYFried - I KNOW, but what's a damned car compared to losing our democracy?

Chuck - I'm pretty sure that action would ensue more than just one ticket!

Andy - I'm touched. Now, stop touching me. lol

Mark - I never.

Sumo - Or a neocon at least.

Donnie - I know yoy understand Southern justice. =)

title="comment permalink">October 19, 2006 6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

$compressor->finish();