{ require_once('class.compressor.php'); //Include the class. The full path may be required } $compressor = new compressor('css,javascript,page'); Left In Aboite: The latest from the "Party of Fiscal Responsibilty" <$BlogMetaData>


Thursday, April 13, 2006

The latest from the "Party of Fiscal Responsibilty"


Government spending hit an all-time high for a single month in March, pushing the budget deficit up significantly from the red-ink level of a year ago. Treasury Department reported Wednesday that federal spending totaled $250 billion last month, up 13.7 percent from March 2005.

Government receipts also were up, rising 10.6 percent from a year ago, to $164.6 billion. That left a deficit for the month of $85.5 billion, a record imbalance for March.

Treasury Department officials said that half of the growth in outlays for March represented a $15 billion shift in payments for certain government benefit programs, including Medicare, into March rather than April. The benefit payments were made early because April 1 fell on a Saturday.

The March outlay record of $250 billion surpassed the old mark of $232 billion set in February.

Even though the deficit was a record for March, it was below the all-time monthly high of $119.2 billion, which was set in February.

So far through the first six months of this budget year, which began in October, the deficit totals $303 billion, an increase of 2.8 percent over the deficit in the first six months of the 2005 budget year.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

6 Comments:

Blogger LP Mike Sylvester said...

Can you say big government Republicans?

I knew you could...

Whgat is SAD is SOME Democrats are saying Bush is not spending enough money...

My goodness...

Mike Sylvester

title="comment permalink">April 13, 2006 9:51 PM  
Blogger John Good said...

Mike,
MY thoughts are (and they MAY reflect the thoughts of "SOME Democrats") that Shrub has wasted ALOT of money on the "war" in Iraq and tax cuts for those of us who don't really need them. These funds could have been put to far better uses such as exploring alternative fuels, rebuilding the gulf coast, and not bombing the shit out of innocent brown people.
You may want to read my recent comment regarding Iran, in response to Andy. Just flip back a few posts and look for the pic of the atom bomb. The MSM "view" that is being presented about Iran is inheritently wrong. I encourage everyone to look beyond the headlines and research this issue.

title="comment permalink">April 13, 2006 10:02 PM  
Blogger Andrew Kaduk said...

Do you suppose the Iran thing is the media trying to START a war so that people pay attention to them again?

title="comment permalink">April 14, 2006 9:44 AM  
Blogger John Good said...

I have no idea, Andy. I'll be the first to admit that I tend to listen to media that is slanted towards my own thinking. I know that the opposite is being said there. Assuming you watch network news, Fox, etc, what are you hearing from those venues?

title="comment permalink">April 14, 2006 6:48 PM  
Blogger Andrew Kaduk said...

I don't really listen to the news. Most reporters piss me off. I tend to get MOST of my news reading and from NPR and Sunday morning programming. I really can't stand people spinning news to suit their agendas, and I don't care what agenda it is. I want facts, and normally I have to wade through about 3.5' of bullshit to find anything useful. I will note, however, that the Liberal Avenger (who I just think picked a "tough" name because he's really just a softie) thinks it's all "sabre rattling." OR, he is at least discussing the likelyhood. Here is the link:

http://www.liberalavenger.com/2006/04/09/iran/

Talk about wading through bullshit for little utility...what a crazy cracker that guy is! Still, he hosts some interesting threads on his blog, so I can't resist reading the propaganda on occasion.

title="comment permalink">April 14, 2006 7:36 PM  
Blogger John Good said...

NPR, eh? There's hope for you, yet. Nah. .I can appreciate what you're saying about the spin/slant/whatever. I just happen to enjoy it after having Limbaugh and pals thrown at me for so long without any other side to respond. You know what I mean? I don't buy everything I hear, but it's still nice to feel like you're listening to compatriots for a change.
I'll check out that link. I've been doing last minute tax crap all night; my eyes are bleeding and I've had no time to blog.

title="comment permalink">April 14, 2006 9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

$compressor->finish();