{ require_once('class.compressor.php'); //Include the class. The full path may be required } $compressor = new compressor('css,javascript,page'); Left In Aboite: Owners drop Freedom Tower name <$BlogMetaData>


Saturday, March 28, 2009

Owners drop Freedom Tower name

From Chris Kokenes CNN
NEW YORK (CNN) -- The agency that owns the space where the World Trade Center towers stood is freeing itself of the term "freedom" to describe the signature skyscraper replacing the buildings destroyed on September 11, 2001.

The change from Freedom Tower was revealed Thursday at a news conference where the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey announced the signing of the first commercial lease in the building to a Chinese company. The building is expected to be completed in late 2013.

"We've referred to the primary building planned for the site as One World Trade Center -- its legal name and street address -- for almost two years now, as well as using the name the Freedom Tower," said Stephen Sigmund, a spokesman for the Port Authority, in a statement released to CNN. "Many will always refer to it as the Freedom Tower, but as the building moves out of the planning stage and into full construction and leasing, we believe that going forward it is most practical to market the building as One World Trade Center."

The rest of the story can be found here:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/03/27/no.freedom.tower/index.html


Now, as far as I am concerned, the real story isn't about dropping the Freedom Tower name. It's about the first tennant! "...the signing of the first commercial lease in the building to a Chinese company." Really? A Chinese company? I am bothered by this for two reasons. First off, I can't believe that the first tennant to sign wouldn't have been an American company, and the second reason is because I feel like America is being bought up by foreigners... in particular, the Chinese.

Now, I realize this is only a lease, but it brings up the point of the Chinese and American property.

Our federal government has now granted to China, this power to "take"our homes and businesses in the event the US Gov't defaults on its debts.
This is an entirely different topic, but a real eye opener regarding China and American ownership.

I don't have a problem with foreigners, or foreigners buying land, property and business in America, I have a problem with the quantity being purchased.

I feel like pretty soon America will be "owned" by foreigners, but governed by Americans. How long will that work? How will foreign ownership affect home prices, employment etc.?

Now, for all you bloggers who love to scan the Internet for "factual" evidence to disprove anything I have said, go for it. I am no expert. I just know what I have heard, read and seen throughout the years.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

1 Comments:

Blogger Blueberry said...

It bothers me that they would build anything there other than a memorial. I'll always think of that location as Ground Zero, and the "Freedom" moniker sounds Bushist to me. (Is Bushist a word, or did I make it up?)

title="comment permalink">March 29, 2009 7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

$compressor->finish();