{ require_once('class.compressor.php'); //Include the class. The full path may be required } $compressor = new compressor('css,javascript,page'); Left In Aboite: Template Updates <$BlogMetaData>


Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Template Updates

I've just completed updating my template to a three-column format. Please bear with me, as I know I still have some tweaking to perform on margins and such, and, if you spot something that seems amiss, let me know about it as well as what browser you are viewing it under. I was going to just use a newer three-column version of my template of choice, Minima Black, but that would have required losing my "classic blogger" template completely. Honestly, I like the functionality of the "new blogger" and it's plug and play widget control. But there's one unfortunate glitch that I was unable to find a fix for. Archives.

When you switch your blog over to the newer templates, it's a totally different animal with a totally different language. In short, you lose all tweaks that you'd made to your blog over the years. Not a real big deal, as you can re-tweak or re-add most of these. The archives, however, are another story entirely. They disappear. Forever. (If you are aware of a fix for this, DO TELL!)

The only option that I ran across was to keep a copy of your old template, open it up side by side with your new one, and manually cut and paste each post from old to new. One at a time. Nearly 1800 posts. . .sorry, I do have a life outside of blogging! And you STILL lose all comments made on those posts, even after all of that work.

So. . .after playing with the newer templates and reading tutorials on them, I was able to glean enough from them to hack this old girl into what you are viewing right now. I hope you like her. . .

I like things that never change. Because the more that something changes, the more it stays the same.

—Huey Lewis

Labels: , ,

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

4 Comments:

Blogger billie said...

you mean upgrading to the 3 column causes you to lose your stuff? blogger to blogger switches leaves that stuff intact and you just have to reinstitute the bells and whistles. who did you use? i was thinking about switching to the 3 column but i am scared because i know nothing about code.

title="comment permalink">January 15, 2008 11:13 PM  
Blogger John Good said...

Betmo - Switching from "classic blogger" to "new blogger" loses the archives. I tried it with a temp page I use. I did the work myself; it was actually fairly easy once I figured it out.

title="comment permalink">January 16, 2008 6:19 AM  
Blogger Blueberry said...

Well crap! Thanks for the heads-up. I was thinking of "upgrading" but don't want to lose my archives.

title="comment permalink">January 16, 2008 11:09 AM  
Blogger John Good said...

Blueberry - When I got the original "invite" from blogger last year, it said that this blog couldn't be switched. So. . .it might "just be me". Try making a test blog, copying your template over, and attempt an upgrade on the dupe.

title="comment permalink">January 16, 2008 7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

$compressor->finish();