{ require_once('class.compressor.php'); //Include the class. The full path may be required } $compressor = new compressor('css,javascript,page'); Left In Aboite: Hands off! <$BlogMetaData>


Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Hands off!

From Jim Hightower:

We know what average Americans think of politicians – but what do politicians think of us, the hoi poloi?

One clue is that numerous politicos are a little touchy about being touched by the masses. It turns out that many who make a living gladhanding really aren't even pleased about shaking our hands. Germs, you know.

For example, at an October fundraiser in Topeka, the Republican faithful lined up to shake hands with the headliner, Dick Cheney. Before getting to the Veep, however, they had to get past a lady standing adjacent to Cheney with a big bottle of Purell, a hand sanitzer that promises to kill "99.99% of most common germs." To get their grip-and-grin with the honoree, each person first had to accept a squirt of the goop to purify their hands! Then, after the meet-and-greet was over, Cheney ducked backstage and rubbed a generous dollop of the antiseptic into his own hands, cleansing himself of the human contact he had just endured.

The vice president is not alone in this act of political prissiness. "Good stuff," raved George W as he touted the purifying qualities of Purell. Bill Clinton also is a user, as is Senator Barack Obama. And Senator John McCain says, "I use it all the time. I carry it with me in my briefcase."

Not everyone believes in the shake-and-scrub routine, however. Governor Bill Richardson of New Mexico bluntly says: "It's condescending to the voters." Richardson, who once shook a record 13,392 hands at the state fair without using a drop of Purell, adds that "The great part about politics is that you're touching humanity."

This is Jim Hightower saying... I'm with Bill on this. During my own politicking period, my right hand often reeked of various colognes, barbecue sauce, and spilt beer – but to use a sanitzer seems to me a bit like ballplayers using performance-enhancing steroids. If you're afraid of people's germs – find a new game.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

11 Comments:

Blogger Sewmouse said...

I know for a fact I could never shake Cheney's hand... or the Shrub's. Even with an entire bathtub full of purell before and after.

The thought of shaking the hand of someone with that much blood on their hands is nauseating.

title="comment permalink">December 05, 2006 7:06 AM  
Blogger Stan Matuska said...

As long as politicians are washing their hands in private, what does it matter? To force someone to use a hand sanitizer prior to shaking hands is just wrong.

I guess this has been going on for many years, but it is just now becoming public knowledge. I bet Purell is behind it.

title="comment permalink">December 05, 2006 7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad that Purell didn't have a couple hundred million flesh-eating bacteria thingies mixed in with the sanitizer.

title="comment permalink">December 05, 2006 8:21 AM  
Blogger Robert Rouse said...

I don't know about the rest of you, but it's not shaking hands that bothers me. Every single time someone picks up a prescription at their local apothecary, they have to sign for it. Now think about this . . . who goes to pick up prescriptions? Sick people! And they handled the same pen we're all required to use. So, as a precautionary measure, I suggest each of you take your own pen with you. I don't think I'm being paranoid about this, it's simply a matter of common sense. There are, more than likely, several hundred different germs on that pen at the drug store! Now, aren't you glad I made everyone else paranoid about using that pen on a string?

title="comment permalink">December 05, 2006 11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like the pen on a string thingy..i'll haffta remeber that...

as far as germs...i'm the one who rolls the towels in the bathroom before i wash my hands....i guess i can't play that polly-prick game very well...grin

title="comment permalink">December 05, 2006 12:46 PM  
Blogger Stan Matuska said...

Robert - When I have to sign at the RX, I have to digitally sign. I don't think bringing my own pen will help in this case.

On the same topic, I hate when Subway employees takes someone's money, then proceeds to make my sandwich without using gloves or washing their hands!!!

title="comment permalink">December 05, 2006 1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TACKY!!!

I'm with sewmouse on this one. I'd be more worried about what I'd get from the Dick-head rather than vice versa. There ain't enough Purell in the world to cleanse all the blood off that man's money-grubbing hands.

title="comment permalink">December 05, 2006 4:31 PM  
Blogger John Good said...

Sew & Pam - I would gladly shake both Bush and Cheney's hands. . .so long as they were hanging from a ledge by them at the time!

Hilly - Thingies are bad. . BAD!

Robert - I hate you now. . .

Stan - Carry your own stylus! And. . .eat fresh!

title="comment permalink">December 05, 2006 7:01 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

Laffed my ass off when I read as long as they were hanging from a ledge...you sir have a great sense of humor...I LIKE IT!

title="comment permalink">December 06, 2006 12:26 AM  
Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

LOL John, great one!

title="comment permalink">December 06, 2006 1:33 AM  
Blogger John Good said...

Sumo - Thank you, ma'am!

Donnie - Been meaning to ask, is that your real pic?

title="comment permalink">December 08, 2006 9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

$compressor->finish();