{ require_once('class.compressor.php'); //Include the class. The full path may be required } $compressor = new compressor('css,javascript,page'); Left In Aboite: Cell-Phone Driving <$BlogMetaData>


Saturday, July 01, 2006

Cell-Phone Driving

Drivers who talk on cell phones may be just as dangerous as those who drink.

That's the sobering conclusion of a study published yesterday by University of Utah researchers who monitored 40 men and women on a driving simulator.

Drivers using hands-free phones were no better than those with the handheld variety, confirming previous studies. That suggests New Jersey's ban on cell-phone driving, which allows hands-free use, is only partly effective.

I spend 10-12 hours per day behind the wheel, and I didn't need this survey to back up conclusions that I had already arrived at:

Drivers using cell phones are often completely oblivious to what is going on around them, despite the comfort level that they may feel. Given the choice, I'll follow the dude coming home from the tavern. . . He's probably more worried about his driving due to the obvious penalties for getting caught! I'm by no means advocating drinking and driving, just making a comparison.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This kind of goes hand-in-hand with all the "drivers" that feel the need to share their "music" (?) with people BLOCKS AWAY....

MY dad used to say that driving a car was his "second job", and he treated it that way, meaning he gave 100% to do the best he could, as he did on his first job in the printing industry.

I treat my "privilege" to drive just as seriously, and never think of tooling a 2800 lb piece of metal rubber and plastic down ANY street or highway as my assured "right" and do whatever I please while behind the wheel.

Then again, being concerned and considerate is one of those "character flaws" I suffer from thanks to responsible parenting by my folks.

But, hey... that's just "my" opinion.

;)

B.G.

title="comment permalink">July 07, 2006 4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

$compressor->finish();